How to Cure Bad Posture?
What causes it?
According to Ben McChesney, Osteopath at Pure Sports Medicine, the most common causes of poor posture are lack of regular exercise and long periods of time spent hunched over at a desk. As a result, muscles and wrappings of muscle and connective tissue in the body, called fascia, shorten.
As well as making you look hunched this can limit your ability to move, reducing the effectiveness of the diaphragm which reduces oxygenation, and impaires the digestive system. These can lead to problems such as fatigue, headaches, poor concentration and of course, immobility, stiffness of bone movement.
What can be done to prevent it?
According to chiropractor Dominic Cheetham, ( you can improve your posture by making some small adjustments to the way you sit at your desk and by the way you hold yourself when standing. Here are his top tips...
Sitting at your desk:
- Your computer screen should be positioned so the middle of the screen is at eye level (when sitting in a totally upright position).
- Each time you step away from your desk clasp your hands together and hold them up in front of you, pushing your shoulders forward and drawing the head back, looking up at the ceiling. This stretches your muscles out and pulls them back into alignment.
- Don’t cross your legs while sitting at your desk, it can cause the hips to move out of line, which as a result can cause problems in the upper back.
- Be aware of your posture all of the time. Do you slouch while writing? Lean forward when looking at something in detail? Find a cue that happens often, such as a phone ringing or a door closing, and check your posture when it occurs. Then correct yourself. Your head should be placed squarely atop your neck, shoulders upright, back is arched in toward the front and arms relaxed.
- Change your mouse from left to right hand every few days to keep the body in balance.
- Make sure your weight is evenly distributed on your feet when you stand – you might feel as if you are leaning forward, but you’re not. The spine has two natural curves that you need to maintain: the "double C" or "S" curves found from the base of your head to your shoulders and the curve from the upper back to the base of the spine.
- Using a mirror, align your ears, shoulders, and hips. Proper alignment places your ears loosely above your shoulders, above your hips. These points make a straight line, but the spine itself curves in a slight "S".
- Repeat this simple stretch ten times: align your ears over your shoulders, raise both arms straight up, alongside your ears. Bend your forearms to your shoulders and touch your shoulder blades. Using the same procedure, raise both arms out to your sides at shoulder height, hold for a slow count of ten and slowly lower.
- Make sure the weight of your upper body sits on the hips squarely, rather than on the lower back by ensuring the pelvis is tucked underneath you. This ensures you don’t overarch your back.
- Try to stand as tall as you possibly can, imagining your head is touching the ceiling.
It sounds old-fashioned but imagining that you have a book balancing on the top of your head really does help to position the neck at a healthy angle. Obviously it’s unrealistic to do this all the time, but if you’re walking to a meeting or eating lunch, try to do it for as long as possible.
- Each morning and evening stretch in the shower/before you go to sleep – stretch your arms as high as you can get them and then slowly move them in a circular motion. This will help keep shoulders in a good place.
- Check your sleeping position – if you sleep with your neck hunched down, try and consciously sleep with your neck straighter.
- Never sleep on your front as it pushes the body’s natural curves out of kilter - we spend a third of our lives in bed so this is really important.
Pilates is a great way to learn and develop good habits with regards to posture. If you’re a first-timer, Luke Meessmann, Master Trainer and Head of Training and Development at TenPilates, recommends a well-rounded approach, starting with a beginners’ class. This will ensure that you learn the foundations of Pilates, how to find and isolate different muscle groups and help identify areas that are overworked. He then recommends moving on to the more specific spinal mobility classes used in combination with personal training sessions, thereby creating a good balance between flexibility and strength training.
Ben McChesney also recommends participating in something you enjoy that gets you moving for 30-40 minutes 3-5 times per week to aid mobility. Generally speaking vigorous walking is good for everyone as a starting point to progress from.
Ben recommends osteopathic treatment to help restore motion in restricted joints and improve flexibility through shortened tissues that are the product of a sedentary lifestyle and long periods of time spent in less than optimal posture. Along with the prescription of individualised dynamic mobility exercises, this can empower people to improve the function of their body, and limit the negative effects of poor postural habits.gamestop lake success hair success hair success fargo how do you define success how do you say success in spanish invitro fertilization success rate iron dome success rate keytruda success rate l5 s1 surgery success rate lake success, ny lumbar radiofrequency ablation success rate parvo treatment success rate positive quotes for success serv u success sleep for success pillow stem cell transplant success rate success group international success has many fathers success images success plural success rate success rate of if already ovulating success short motivational quotes success stories of tinnitus going away sweet success the best revenge is success which of the following is not a key success factor in the country location decision? work hard in silence let success make the noise writing for success success rate by age ablation for afib success rate academic success allergy immunotherapy success rate animal mating success horse another word for success as discussed in class, tide was able to maintain its success over a 30-year time span by: avoidant attachment relationship success before we can evaluate the success of a drug treatment program, we have to understand the program's bible verse about success coca-cola’s advertising strategy has been an international success because cone biopsy success rate director of customer success eleven rings the soul of success estrogen levels and ivf success how to stop being jealous of others success in vitro fertilization success rate iui success rate calculator iui success stories ivf success rates jack canfield success principles key to success quotes lake success golf club lake success zip code lake success, new york laxative weight loss success stories letrozole 2.5 mg success log in success factors mantras for success measuring success motivated for success nrad lake success palmers skin success pcos hair loss regrowth success professional success quest for success quotes about future success reverse vasectomy success rate rowan success network salon success success and failure success and failure quotes success and failure quotes success antonym success breeds success success inspirational quotes for work success mortgage partners success motivators success pics success quotes for students success stories the laws of success unconventional success was the new deal a success or failure weight watcher success what does success look like what is the success rate of cardioversion whole30 success story wishing success quotes agent tools for success artificial insemination success rate best wishes for success bridge to success castor oil at 38 weeks success chemotherapy success rate dua for exam success dua for success in exam executive success program gateway to success jack canfield success principles leg angioplasty success rate lung transplant success rate march to success preseed success rate probability of success quotes about success in life quotes about success in life real estate success reverse vasectomy success rate student academic success center success barbershop success ed success in chinese success rice success stories of tinnitus going away success team success unlimited academy the national society of leadership and success reviews vbac success calculator vbac success rate way of the wolf: straight line selling: master the art of persuasion, influence, and success bachelor success rate customer success specialist dress for success atlanta family success center fresh success smoothie mix levothyroxine weight loss success stories prayer for work success quotes on success in life success affirmations success bible verses success essay success habits success qoutes success rate of cervical epidural steroid injection success verbs synonym success will success spoil rock hunter cochlear implant success rate customer success manager job description dress for success donations egg freezing success rates financial success gastric bypass revision success rate gcu student success center herniated disc surgery success rate inspiration quotes for success iui success rate by age iui success tips ivf success rate ivf success rates under 35 ladder of success road to success quotes senior customer success manager salary social success success coaching success driving school success has many fathers success in french success in high school success is like being pregnant success lion quotes success lion quotes success nutrients success spelling success syn success vision tethered spinal cord surgery success rate topamax and phentermine weight loss success stories 2018 was reconstruction a success or failure 5 day frozen embryo transfer success rates ahcc hpv success 2020 avoidant attachment relationship success bible verses about success bridge to success cardioversion success rate college measured success coming off antidepressants success stories congratulations quotes for success customer success engineer